Our Braised Pork Brown Rice Bowl takes a healthier take on the beloved comfort food and pairs the chewy, steaming, soft brown rice with the savoury braised meat sauce that’s bursting with flavours and the melt-in-your-mouth tender pork belly pieces. Served with eggs, stir-fried asparagus and one secret ingredient that takes the dish to the next level, indulge in this otherworldly deliciousness with the whole family by cooking up our recipe.
|Cooking Time||1 Hour 25 Minutes|
- 450g skin-on pork belly, rinsed and pat dry
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-inch of ginger, peeled & sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled & smashed
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked overnight & chopped into small cubes
- 60g fried shallots
- 2.5 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 500ml water
- ½ tbsp oil (asparagus)
- 150g asparagus
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp oil (per egg)
- 4 eggs, sunny side up
- Slice 450g of skin-on pork belly into ½ inch pieces.
- In a large pot, heat up 2 tsp of oil and add in the star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger and garlic. Stir and fry it until fragrant for about 2-3min.
- Add in the pork belly and cook until they’re no longer pink.
- Now, add the shiitake mushrooms, sugar, shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, water and fried shallots. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, heat up ½ tbsp of oil in a pan. Stir-fry the minced garlic until fragrant then toss in the asparagus and cook another 1-2 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ½ tsp of oil to a pan and crack in an egg. Cook for 3 min or until the egg white has set.
- Scoop your Heavenly Brown Rice into a serving bowl. Assemble the sunny side up, braised meat and stir-fried asparagus.
- Garnish with more fried shallots and it’s ready to serve!