Are you a fan of Japanese cuisine? Today we’re going to make a rice dish inspired by the Japanese pancake, or okonomiyaki. Okonomiyaki is a type of savoury pancake that is grilled, and ingredients and batter differs from region to region in Japan. You usually grill a okonomiyaki on a hotplate.
We’re going to incorporate brown rice into our recipe to create different texture and flavour, and hence we have a Double Layer Okonomiyaki!
- 1 cup of well cooked Heavenly Brown Rice
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of finely chopped cabbage
- 4 eggs, beaten in a bowl
- 1 ⅓ cup of chicken soup
- 100g of sliced, halved fresh prawns
- 100g of sliced squid
- 1 packet of crab meat
- 8 scallions, sliced and divided
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- For garnish: tonkatsu sauce,mayonnaise, seaweed, sesame seeds, dried bonito flakes and spring onions.
- In a large bowl, pour in the all purpose flour. Add in the chicken soup and eggs next and mix evenly.
- Add in the chopped cabbage and cooked brown rice. Add in the squid and prawns.
- Add the scallions and salt, and mix everything evenly.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat up the vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add in ¼ of the okonomiyaki batter. Gently push down the batter with a ladle to make the okonomiyaki flat.
- Add in the crab sticks and cover with more batter.
- Cook until the underside is browned, before flipping to cook the other side for about 4 minutes.
- Lastly, for garnish and toppings, put mayonnaise, okonomiyaki sauce, toasted sesame seeds and chopped spring onions, dried bonito flakes and some seaweed on the okonomiyaki. Serve hot!
We used seafood as our main theme for this recipe, but you can also replace it with your favourite fillings, like chicken meat, pork belly, and even cheese. We hope you enjoy this recipe! Till next time!