In the past, Hakka people often engaged in hard labour. Because they needed a lot of energy to work in the fields, their meals tended to be more on the hearty and heavy side. Hence, Hakka food is characterized as fragrant and umami. The Hakka Stewed Pork Belly With Preserved Vegetables is one great example, that melts in your mouth and leaves a deliciously yummy lingering taste. Especially delectable when paired with a bowl of rice, you don’t want to miss this divinely lovely braised goodness!
|Cooking Time||2 hours 30 minutes|
- 500g pork belly
- 50g preserved vegetables (梅干菜)
- Heavenly 100% Pure Vegetable Oil (desired amount)
- 3 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Hua Diao wine
- 2 tsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of sugar
- A pinch of white pepper
- 3 ginger pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 star anises
- 2 bunches of spring onion
- Add water, ginger slices and 500g of pork belly into pot and bring it to a boil
- Remove pork from heat.
- Use a bunch of satay sticks or fork to poke holes onto the belly skin.
- Coat pork belly with 1 tsp of dark soy sauce.
- Add desired amount of oil (to fry) to the heated pan.
- Place pork belly onto pan (skin facing down) and leave it sizzle till skin is a little charred.
- Flip pork belly over and leave it to fry.
- Add 3 tbsp of light soy sauce, 1 tbsp of Hua Diao wine, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of sesame oil, 1 tsp of sugar, and a pinch of white pepper and mix well.
- Remove pork belly from heat and slice pork belly into long strips.
- Pour sauce over the pork belly slice and leave it to marinate for about 5-10 minutes.
- Chop spring onions, ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, and 50g of preserved vegetables (梅干菜).
- Add leftover pork belly oil and chopped garlic onto pan and fry well.
- Add 2 star anises.
- Once garlic is golden brown, add preserved vegetables (梅干菜) and fry.
- Pour sauce drained from marinated pork belly into pan.
- Fill the bowl with the pork belly slices and cooked preserved vegetables (梅干菜).
- Cover bowl with aluminium foil and steam it for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove the star anises from dish.
- Drain the remaining sauce from dish.
- Pour cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce and heat it up.
- Flip the dish over onto a plate and pour heated sauce over the dish.
- Sprinkle spring onions on top.
- Serve it up with a bowl of brown rice and your Hakka Stewed Pork Belly with Preserved Vegetables is done!