Hello! Great that you’re back. Eating clean does a great part to our health and what is simpler than eating some porridge for a meal? Take a break from heavy meals and learn how to cook Heavenly Rice Eight Treasure Porridge for your own health!
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup Heavenly Brown Rice
- 12 gingko nuts
- 2 tbsp barley
- 2 tbsp green bean
- 2 tbsp red bean
- 14 dried lotus seed
- 14 red dates
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 2 tbsp dried goji berries
- First, place peanuts and red beans in a pot.
- Pour in water and make sure they are fully submerged.
- Turn on the heat and bring to a boil until water is reduced.
- In a separate pot, add in rice, vegetable stock and the rest of the water.
- Let it simmer with lid on for 20 minutes.
- In the other pot, when the water is reduced, add the green beans and continue to boil until all beans and peanuts are slightly soft.
- Pour in all lotus seeds, red dates, barley and gingko nuts into the boiling pot of rice.
- Cover with lid and bring up to a gentle simmer until lotus seeds are slightly cooked.
- Then, transfer the peanuts and beans into the rice pot. Add in more water if needed.
- Lastly, add in the goji berries and let it cook for awhile.
- Season with salt or sugar to taste.
- Sprinkle spring onions and black sesame seeds to your own preference.
Just to remind you, the red beans are pre-soaked overnight because they tend to cook slower, unless you’re using a pressure cooker. Lotus seeds are rinsed in warm water to cook them slightly before adding them into the rice. The reason why two pots are used is because we want to keep the base color clear, but if you’re cooking it sweet, all the ingredients can be cooked in the same pot. And also, instead of sugar, you can opt for rock sugar, raw brown sugar, candied winter melon strips or dried longans.
That’s all! So next time, when you feel like eating clean, you can whipped up this dish. There is no limitations to what ingredients you want to add in, as long as you like them. We’ll see you soon!
*Ingredients and quantity can be changed to suit the amount of people or your preferred taste.