While the way of cooking Curry Chicken differs across every family, the standard Nyonya Curry Chicken is mostly a perfect fusion between various Chinese ingredients and herbs together with cooking techniques from the Malay community. Best served with plain rice or bread, its aromatic and flavourful gravy is one that brings a whole family together!
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Skill Level: Medium
- 1kg chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 5 tbsp curry powder
- 6 candlenuts
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 shallots
- 4cm ginger
- 10 chilli peppers (dried)
- 4 potatoes
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 10 curry leaves stalks
- 600ml coconut milk
- 600ml water
- 70ml Heavenly 100% Pure Vegetable Oil
- Marinate chicken drumsticks with 1 tbsp curry powder and 2 tbsp light soy sauce for about 15 minutes.
- Place candlenuts, garlic, shallots, ginger and chilli peppers in a blender and blend well. Then, add 5 tbsp curry powder into mixture and blend.
- Heat oil in the pot over medium heat. Once oil heats up, add blended paste and fry until fragrant.
- Add yellow onions, curry leaves, and lemongrass into pot.
- Add chicken drumsticks and mix well. Fry until the dish is slightly dry.
- Then, add water and potatoes. Mix well and cook over high heat.
- Once it boils, lower the heat and leave it to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Increase to high heat until it boils. Then, lower the heat and add salt and sugar to taste.
- Serve with a steaming bowl of butterfly pea rice.