Originating from Chaoshan, the Teochew Cuisine is well-known for its seafood dishes and its heavier taste (as compared to other dialects). While the Teochew Braised Duck can commonly be found in hawker centres, this dish was often only served up during festive occasions and birthdays in the past.
|Cooking Time||2 hours 30 minutes|
- 1 whole duck (~2kg)
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 cup of premium quality dark soya sauce
- 1/2 cup of light soya sauce
- 2 tbsp of five spice powder
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 pieces of rock sugar
- 1 tbsp of white peppercorn
- 5g of dried mandarin peels
- 2 pieces of star anise
- 8 pieces of cloves
- 100g of blue ginger (sliced thinly)
- 70g of old ginger (sliced thinly)
- 80g of garlic
- Heavenly 100% Pure Vegetable Oil (desired amount)
- A bunch of coriander (optional)
- 1 cucumber (optional)
- A bunch of lettuce(optional)
- 2 tomatoes (optional)
- First, rub salt over the duck and let it sit for 20 mins.
- Scald duck with boiling water and set aside.
- Add a desired amount of Heavenly 100% Pure Vegetable Oil to a pan.
- Add brown sugar and rock sugar and cook till it caramelizes.
- Add 80g of garlic, 70g old ginger and 100g of blue ginger slices, 8 pieces of cloves, 2 pieces of star anise, 5g of dried mandarin peels, 5 cinnamon sticks, 1 tbsp of white peppercorns and stir fry till fragrant.
- Place duck in a large braising pot and add the above mixture.
- Add water (enough to cover the duck).
- Add 1 tbsp of premium quality dark soya sauce, 2 tbsp of five spice powder and 1 tbsp of oyster sauce to pot.
- Bring it to a boil. Then, reduce heat to low, cover and let it braise for about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Remove duck from pot and place aside.
- Add desired amount of hard-boiled eggs and taukwa to the braised liquid and bring it to a simmer.
- Remove eggs and taukwa from pot and set aside.
- Add tapioca starch solution to thicken the soup into a gravy.
- Chop duck into serving portions.
- Decorate dish with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers, braised eggs and taukwa.
- Pour gravy over and garnish with coriander leaves.